Sunday, October 31, 2010

The devil herself.

Today started off to be a fantastic day. That is, until the opening hymn in church. That's when Gavin decided "to sing" during it.... and then continue to "sing" during the invocation. Which made Makenna laugh, so I ended up hauling both out during the middle of the prayer. I threatened in the foyer no snacks if they didn't behave (which made Makenna worry). I walked back in with both kids in each hand and Gavin decided to drop his body about two pews back, which made for me dragging him the rest of the way. Funny!? Yes. Especially if it's not your kid. But I still thought it was kind of funny.

Needless to say, after the sacrament (and Kenna asking 1,000 times if she was going to get a snack), I told them no since they were being naughty and my ALMOST FIVE YEAR OLD started bawling like a baby... and so I packed our stuff up and started to head out. In turn, making her start throwing a tantrum (jumping up and down even) crying, saying she doesn't want to go home... That's right. In the middle of the aisle in the chapel. Awesome. People staring at me (not my fave thing anyway). I dragged them out and that's when it got real bad. The yelling of "I don't want to go home" got louder and louder in the foyer until we were outside and then turned to the top of her lungs, I'm getting murdered, blood curdling scream which THEN turned to "I don't like you Mommy! I'm not going home! You're mean!" That was all before we got to the car. Then she threw her shoes at me, hit me and screamed some more. I then dragged her (not violently) to her room since she wouldn't walk, and put her on her bed for 30 minutes. That was just so I could cool off and not throw her to Seattle... because trust me, if I could have. I would have. Because I swear she was the devil...

Punishment: No snacks the rest of the day and no friends for three days. Fair enough!? I don't know if the no friend thing is worse for me or her. But what else do you do!?

So parents: Does grounding work!? Or what methods of disciple would you use in a situation like this!? Advice would be great considering I don't know what is the most effective. Either way. I better be getting blessed for going BACK to church after this debacle.

So laugh away peeps and be glad it wasn't your kid doing it. Because I would have been relieved it was someone elses and not mine.

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yikes. I think you handled it well. She was totally testing you and you showed her who is really in charge! Good for you!


And if I had been in your ward, I woulda been laughing on the inside and sympathetic to your cause!

Aubrey said...

You did a great job. We are still in the younger phase so we just take them out into a room that is empty (easier to do in FL vs UT) and we sit there and hold them on our laps while they scream and yell until they realize that they aren't getting away. Once they calm down we talk to them about reverance and why they have to be quiet, etc. It usually works. We haven't had to take them out in a while but they do keep us pretty busy.

Heather said...

Grounding totally works for my kids. They hate it. And yes, it is a bigger punishment for you. I think you handled it just fine and trust me it has happened to the best of us. No one was judging you, we were all just glad it wasn't our own kids. Don't worry and good for you for going back!!

Shelly said...

We dealt with the crying too yesterday which is why you never saw Jack in class! Happens to all of us...at least I tell myself that.

The Foisy's said...

Lol gotta love motherhood! You did good, just wish I was there to witness it all!

Amanda said...

hahaha Oh Linds!! I often times wonder if my oldest is the spawn of Satan?!! :) Good job, both of your kids are DARLING, even if they are naughty :)

Kelly said...

I feel your pain. Sometimes I just have no clue what to do. At churn we're all wrestling with our own kids so we don't even notice everyone elses!

GOULDING CLAN said...

hahahaha. That's so funny! I have tears coming out I'm laughing so hard

Robyn said...

love that she took off her shoes to throw them at you!!! ahahahahaha, dont worry, one day you will be laughing at my rowdy kids, i am sure

CLUFF FAMILY said...

Let me just say: YOU ARE AMAZING!