Monday, April 18, 2011

Garlic Herb Chicken con Broccoli.

Well, I'm not a very good promiser (I know, not a word) and haven't posted in a while. Anyway, here is another meal idea. If you want the original recipe click here. But, if I were you, I wouldn't follow it straight up. Here is why. The sauce has hardly any flavor if followed that way. I have been craving garlic (can PMS make you crave it?!) and maybe that is why I wasn't loving it at first. But I fixed it, and my familia ended up LOVING the food.

Oh, and double the recipe. For the chickens sake. Here is my new and improved version.

Garlic Herb Chicken con Broccoli

1 lb. chicken breasts with seasonings (1-2 tsp. dried basil, parsley and rosemary; 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes; salt and pepper to taste. Rub into chicken breasts. I just estimated the amount of seasonings)
2 tsp. olive oil
4 oz. dry pasta (I used medium shells)
1 c. heavy whipping cream
6 T. butter
6 tsp. minced garlic (if not more)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 c. fresh broccoli florets
salt and pepper to taste (you will most likely want lots)
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese

Cook chicken in olive oil until done and browned. Set aside.

Cook pasta. Drain.

Stir butter and garlic in saucepan. Cook until garlic caramelizes. Add cream and cornstarch and stir on medium heat until thickened. Add pasta. Stir in chicken and broccoli and simmer until noodles are done.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Divinie Breadsticks (super easy to make)

1 ½ cups warm water

1 tablespoon instant yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ cups flour (I usually use a combination of unbleached all-purpose flour and white whole wheat flour but use whatever you have on hand!)
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted (for the baking sheet)

Mix all ingredients (except melted butter) in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread melted butter onto an 11X17-inch baking sheet. Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly if desired and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs of choice (I vary this depending on my mood but it usually consists of rosemary, basil, or thyme in some form and crushed finely) and parmesan cheese. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.

Recipe found here.

I hope you enjoy. If not, go to Olive Garden and order it. Its delish!!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yay!! You are so ambitious!! I will have to give it a try. I like cooking, but not when I have to teach piano. Maybe someday when I don't have as many students I will be better at trying out so many new things like you!!!

Melissa said...

Looks yummy! I'm going to have to try it!