Monday, June 14, 2010

Lake Powell.

Yes, yes. It is that time again!!! YAY! As we know (and I mean me and two other people know) I LOVE Lake Powell. L.O.V.E. it. This year was no exception except I got to experience something that will probably never happen again (fingers crossed). I had to wear a freaking jacket the whole time we were there. So did everyone else. Most people were in sweats 90% of the time. I wasn't that smart and just brought a jacket, but my kids were in their long winter pajamas (I was a bit smart for them). It was SO DANG COLD!!! When we went to bed on Friday night, Cha Cha said it was 57 degrees. At the lake. In June. It poured I think most of the night. Either way, here is the run down of the trip.

Thursday. We leave at 7:30 (surprisingly early) to get out there and going. We all arrive around the same time and start to unload everything. Once again, as we start the houseboat, only 1/2 an engine works (not surprising). I think they (the men) worked on it for maybe 2-3 hours and finally got it going. The wind was starting to blow at this point, so we had to move fast before it died. I'm pretty sure my dad and grandpa are experts and driving the boat with one engine. In a wind storm. And all of the other houseboats now have booeys (sp!?) around theirs just so when we get blown into them, their boat is protected. Anyway, we find a beach. All is well.

Kenna decided that she wanted to wake ski (thats how she said it). So when my little bro got in to wakeboard, she jumped in and got up with him. It was crazy! They went forever and it was fun to watch. Unfortunately (once again not surprising), I didn't have my camera, so we went and got that and my mom and she wakeboarded with my dad (see pics below). Day was over and we all got to sleep on the top in the starry sky.

Friday morning. We didn't wake up to the usual bright sun, which was a pleasant feeling knowing we slept past 7:00 in the morning. Problem. The sun didn't shine the rest of the day. It actually rained, wind blew and was so dang cold. We did go to a sand hill and climbed the beast and ran down it before we were covered in sand. We all got back to the houseboat and were camped inside the rest of the day/night. We watched movies on laptops, played some card games, and ate. Now, the houseboat we have is fairly small on the inside. By 11:30 we realized we were all going to have to sleep inside the boat instead of outside due to the rain. So there were 31 of us crammed (and when I say crammed I mean CRAMMED) under the roof. It was quite humorous really. People were sleeping two to a twin size mat, smashed in the kitchen, and down the hall. Quite the adventure. Some of us slept, some of us didn't. We woke up in the morning and the weather was still pretty crappy so we went home.

Overall, it was pretty fun considering the circumstances. My kids were wonderful (thanks to my family) and we survived without killing each other!!! Hopefully August will be a bit warmer. Even 70 degrees would be a whole heck of a lot warmer than it was! Enjoy the pics.
Ready to go the first couple hours.

Them waiting to be served.

Driving to the beach.


Two adults ended up sleeping in this small space.

The beast of a sandhill.

Getting ready to climb it!

My grandpa and Kenna

The big wakeboarder!

Kenna and her bestie (she doesn't leave him alone)

Isn't she so cute?!

A few of us watching a movie (taken with my phone so not the best shot)
There are 14 people in the picture. Can you see them all!?

5 comments:

HeatherStout said...

We are going this weekend and I'll be way bummed if it's jacket weather like your weekend:( Still looks like a fun trip. Kenna looks old all of a sudden, no? btw, what huge book are you reading? Looks good, I'm always on the lookout for a good read.

Heather said...

I'm sorry the weather sucked, but I'm glad that you were still able to have fun. Your kids look so cute and your little bro looks just like your Dad! Crazy.

Allie said...

Cris and I went to our cabin just north or Kanab and it was crappy weather too. It is just fun to get away even if you do have to make the best of things. Glad you had a good time. I can't believe that daredevil Kenna on that wakeboard, that is awesome!

Aaron and Bonnie said...

The nice thing about Lake Powell is even if it is crappy weather, it is still beautiful and nice to be "away". Good luck in August.

Lori said...

I love powell. That is awesome Kenna wanted to ski this year and went on the wakeboard. She will be a pro before you know it.