Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Christmas. (a novel)

I know I skipped over Thanksgiving, but I didn't take any pictures of it. We went to Brent's family's house and it was a lot of fun! It was very relaxing (so much in fact I fell asleep on the couch) and just enjoyed out time together... especially having Brent around.

On to CHRISTMAS! I've decided that Christmas Eve is by far my favorite holiday... I love, love, LOVE it!!! The chaos, food, parties. I love it all. This year it FLEW by!!! I had some last minute shopping to do (which I don't mind doing), and then we went to visit my Gma and Gpa Hukill's house to hang and eat peanut brittle. It's always relaxing over there, just hanging out with them. 5:30 is when the real party began!

We always head up to my Grandma Staheli's house for the first part of the night. We have been doing it for years and it is so fun! My grandma makes her delicious chili, special egg nog (I said special, not spiked), and other snacks and crackers. After we all mill around, make fun of each other and do the traditional Indian Leg Wars, Grandma brings out her HUGE gift bag full of our LEFT/RIGHT presents. I'm sure everyone knows the LEFT/RIGHT game where you pass the presents according to the story. I don't know how long we have done this, but without fail, it ALWAYS gets messed up and confused and we have to stop at least five times to get everone a present. Sad thing is, its never the kids that mess it up! It's part of the fun though. After that game, we have to wrap it up there and head over to the Martin's for the gift exchange there!!!

We arrive in TOTAL chaos, everyone in their new pajamas, on their sugar rush, and ready for a night of presents and more sugar. It is pure madness but we all LOVE it!!! THe kids did the cousin exchange and then Grandma and Grandpa Martin give the kids their gifts. We head home after that and send the kids right to bed (seriously, its 11:30 by then). Luckily our kids are still young enough to not be completely STOKED about Christmas so they sleep all night. I told Makenna that she couldn't come out of her room until the morning, and when she woke up she had to come straight to my room. She woke up that morning and said "Mom, I woke up and had to go to the bathroom, but I didn't go because you told me not too" Sad huh?! At least she listens. :)

The kids were ECSTATIC to come out in the living room. Gavin got a(nother) Buzz, a Mack truck with all of the Cars, pillow pet (dang things are now on sale for $10 bucks!) and a few other items. Kenna got a new baby, Barbie (I curse you Barbie), Jessie doll, and some other little things as well. They made out pretty well and had a great Christmas!

We then head up to my Moms for their gift exchange and breakfast!!! It's always fun up there with a fire (with real wood), good food, and lots of laughs. By one, we headed back to the Martin's for a pasta bar!

It was a SUPER long day, but we loved it and had a great time. I am finally just recovering from Christmas and now we are throwing their birthdays in the mix... here we go!







3 comments:

Heather said...

What cute pictures! I'm glad that you had such a wonderful holiday and that you could have your hubby around for all of it!

Melissa said...

Such a fun Christmas. I love the chaos too!

Robyn said...

ha my niece and nephew are SO into Pillow pets....sucha stupid idea....who would of thought kids would be so into it??