Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No phone zone.

In Utah, all cell phones are "banned" from being on in the car. I tried looking for the law online, but couldn't find it. I know it was passed though. I heard it on the news. And the news is always right! Every time I am on the phone and I pass a cop, I hold my breath and hope that he didn't see me. And they usually don't since they are on their phone talking "business."

I am not preaching here. But in recent weeks, my attention has been drawn to the dangers of being on the phone while driving. Not just texting and driving. But talking and driving. I am already distracted enough with pushing PLAY on the kids DVD player, or changing the song back to "I've Got a Feeling" by Alving and the Chipmunks. Anyway, I will admit. I have texted and drove. Recently. How stupid am I?! Especially with my kids!!! I don't type out novels or anything, but the fact of the matter is, I am TOTALLY distracted on spelling YES instead of YEF, to pay full attention to the road. Or reading something that is SO not important. Just the other day, my little boy ran out into the road (I know, its horrible). What if the TWO cars that stopped were texting or talking. They could have EASILY hit him. And that makes sick to my stomach to think about that. And! I was driving behind a white car, and they must have been on the phone, because they COMPLETELY went into the other lane and made the Papa John's car swerve off the road to avoid a head on. Seriously people?! We've got to stop the madness (do I sound like Oprah?!) I hope. So this is what I did. As lame as it is (and I know the contract really isn't binding), I signed the "No Phone Zone" pledge. Click {here} or there to sign it. Now, I can't lie to the Big O about being on the phone. So as of Saturday (I have to make it home from my trip first), I will no longer be talking on my phone in the car. I haven't texted in awhile, but for sure no more talking. OK, *breath* I'm off my soap box.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Way to go Oprah. I'm proud of you. It really is a distraction. Good luck with that. I will also have to sacrifice and do the same. Hope your having fun up north.

Lori said...

We have a strong no texting rule, but I have never heard of the no phone rule in SL. So if so, that is news to me and I live here. Way to sign the petition though.

Lyndsie and Daniel said...

Amen Sister! It's just not worth the risk. I rear ended a guy once while I was talking on the phone, and I've tried not to talk and drive since...But I need to be better.